About the job
Earthworm Foundation is an international dynamic non-profit organization which helps companies transform their supply chains across the world for the benefit of people and nature.
Earthworm Foundation is seeking a motivated Spatial Data Analyst, based in Semarang or Jakarta, Indonesia, with demonstrated ability working with Geo Informatic Systems, experience in data management and analysis, in particular of supply chain and environmental data, and with excellent communication and writing skills. The candidate will play a central role in conducting data analysis – both spatial and non-spatial – for the EF Supply Chain Analysis team. To be effective in these capacities, this role will require strong and effective inter-departmental collaboration skills. The ideal candidate is passionate about leveraging supply chains to improve environmental and social outcomes and interested in a career with a dynamic non-profit that builds relationships with companies, governments and civil society organizations to bring responsible products to market.
About Earthworm Foundation
Earthworm Foundation currently has presence in 16 countries including Indonesia, India, Malaysia, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, and several locations within West Africa, Europe and the Americas. We employ more than 250 people worldwide and work with big and small companies, communities and producers of raw materials to create compelling cases of transformation. With an innovative and entrepreneurial spirit, we work on the ground with people to create inspiring transformation stories. We focus on creating value, engage without judging and carry hope and a positive vision of the future.
What Makes Us Unique
- Our profound belief in people, their capacity to change and be a force for good.
- Our desire to work where the problems are, to innovate and find practical solutions on the ground.
What We Offer
- A unique work experience in a non-profit impacting nature and communities around the world.
- The opportunity to lead complex projects with direct impact on the growth and well-being of our staff.
- A caring working culture that the candidate will take part in sustaining and growing.
- A fast moving, agile working environment with the chance to work in a multicultural team.
The Spatial data analyst works in a team of about 10 peers. His/her core responsibilities include: (1) the investigation of deforestation events, (2) generating maps from Starling and desktop GIS applications, (3) supporting creation of a variety of reports, (4) building and managing large databases to map commodity supply chains (traceability).
Investigation of Deforestation and Land Use Change
- Analyse areas and patterns to identify drivers of deforestation, investigating available spatial data to confirm/discard alerts
- Study various geographies to identify remaining forest, presence of plantations, size/frequency/date of alerts, etc.
- Interpret available spatial data at a landscape scale to identify trends
- Investigate deforestation-related grievances and identify recommendations to members
GIS and mapping
- Perform data searches and retrievals from spatial data
- Extract and organize data: export tables from spatial data to be explored using other software
- Overlay maps over aerial imagery to produce custom products and verify and correct geospatial data
- Perform standard spatial analyses such as Buffer, Spatial Join, distance and area calculations, Reclassify, Intersect, Raster Calculator, Resample and various calculations using Field Calculator.
- Perform attribute data management
- Research and correct problems with data using spatial and logical analyses
- Convert spatial data from one coordinate system to another
- Participate in developing and implementing instructions of moderate difficulty to perform workflows of data analysis
- Participate in data quality checks and cleaning to assure high quality levels of spatial attribute data
- Create map area and develop symbology using cartographic and design principles
- Support the organization by analysing spatial data to develop various reports, developing recommended follow up actions.
- Generate Quarterly Alerts report: identify list of single biggest alerts each quarter, to be reported to members
- Generate maps from Starling and desktop GIS applications as requested
The successful candidate will need a demonstrated ability to manage a large number of complex spreadsheets, with meticulous attention to detail.
- Search for, and extract data from a variety of publicly available reports
- Process large volumes of complex of data received from Customers and third parties
- Maintain and improve a Database to reflect complex supply chains and allow traceability to plantation of Palm oil and other commodities
- Integrate into new Concession boundaries, supply volumes and privacy setting
- Contribute to continued improvement by providing critical feedback and suggesting improvements to the spreadsheets in use
- Proactively communicate within and outside of the team to identify issues and inconsistencies in the data
Requirements – Candidate Profile Minimum Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience and advanced skill using ArcGIS, QGIS (or similar)
- Demonstrated experience and intermediate skill using Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft office suite
- Meticulous attention to detail and ability to work in a very structured manner
- Self-motivated and able to assure the quality and you own work
- Interest in Environment, sustainability and labour issues
- Graduate degree, or other equivalent higher-level training in data management, supply chains, environmental sciences, GIS or another related field
- Valid work authorization for country
- Required: fluency in English, both spoken and written (minimum level: B2/C1)
- Passion for working on issues related to sustainability, resilience, and supply chains.
- Hands-on, practical, innovative.
- Flexibility, takes initiative/proactive and positive attitude.
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary and multicultural team.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and work autonomously.
- Committed to Earthworm Foundation values:
Working conditions / Physical effort:
- Based in Semarang or Jakarta, Indonesia;
- Must be able to do remote work/work from home when required.
- Fixed long-term local contract (7 to 24 months)
- Full-time position
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and CV via email to: email@example.com. Please put your last name and SCA-GIS Officer 2022 in the subject line of the email. Successful candidates will be contacted by email for an initial interview. Only candidates who send a full application will be considered. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
About Earthworm Foundation
We work with companies to find solutions to environmental and social challenges within value chains and transform the way everyday products are produced with sustainable solutions that benefit the planet. We work between corporate and civil society, social and environmental concerns, farms and boardrooms, to identify challenges, process them and cultivate the ingredients needed for impactful solutions.
Earthworm Foundation (formerly The Forest Trust/TFT) is an impact-driven, non-profit organisation with 22-years of experience creating conditions for people and nature to thrive. Above all, we work with people. It is people that drive supply chains and hold the power for change where all can thrive.