About the job
Sungai Watch is an environmental organization on a mission to stop plastic from going into the ocean. We aim to protect and restore Indonesia’s rivers by developing and designing simple technologies to stop the flow of plastic pollution from going into the ocean. We believe that river barriers are the quickest and most cost effective way to eradicate plastic pollution by activating communities on land and giving them a sense of pride and ownership over keeping rivers clean in the future. Once collected, we process the waste that we collect in-house and we conduct waste and brand auditing (the type of plastic we collect and the brands manufacturing the plastic). We aim to address both the root causes and the symptoms of plastic pollution. Since October 2020, we have installed 170 barriers in Bali and we have collected over 850 tons of plastic. We are serious about helping Indonesia in its fight against plastic pollution.
Sungai Watch is looking to hire our Bali Operations Director to spearhead all of our cleanups, barriers, and sorting processes in Bali.
This person will be in charge of planning and monitoring the day-to-day operations of Sungai Watch and ensure our impact is as effective as possible. This will include supervising our teams on the ground and in our facilities in all of our Bali operating regions – Tabanan, Badung, Denpasar, Gianyar and Buleleng. You will work closely with our Head of Cleanups and all of our Facility Managers to ensure that we achieve our sponsorship collection goals, and to ensure there is a smooth material flow from collection, sorting, and washing of materials collected.
We are looking for a great communicator, team-player, and impact focused candidate who has previous work running a team of 50+ people and who is ready to lead our operations in Bali. You will be working very closely with our Co-Founders and leadership team.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Manage Sungai Watch sorting facilities and on-the-ground daily barrier operations and cleanups
- Ensure collection goals are being met and make decisions and a plan of action to achieve them
- Ensure material flow from collection, sorting, washing is smooth and optimal between our facilities (creating inventory of collected and processed plastic regularly)
- Conduct weekly check ups on every Facility and assess the effectiveness of the various teams
- Supervise Sungai Watch Facility Managers and provide constructive feedback to improve their performance and effectiveness
- Regularly evaluate the efficiency of the various Sungai Watch procedures, according to organisational objectives and apply necessary improvements
- Communicate daily with leadership team regarding important decisions and brainstorm ways to create the most amount of impact
- Work closely with financial department to review operational budgets
- Ensure that Sungai Watch runs with legality and conformity to established regulations
- Indonesian citizen
- Proven experience as Director of Operations or equivalent position
- Speaks English and Indonesian fluently
- Proven track record in organising, managing and analysing data
- Proven experience managing multiple teams or staff of 50+ people
- Excellent communication skills and a team player
- Must be impact focused
- Excellent organisational and leadership facilities
- This is a full time position to be located in Bali, Indonesia
- Ability to take on many projects, fast paced work space
- Experience working in the waste management sector, or knowledgeable with waste collection and processing
About Sungai Watch
Protecting rivers starting in Bali, Indonesia.
We are on a mission to protect and restore Indonesia’s rivers by developing and designing simple technologies to stop the flow of plastic pollution from going into the ocean.